The video in question was not made for any audience, so it was an entirely unstaged.
RT

----- Original Message ----- From: <t...@heartistrymusic.com> To: "Edward Mast" <nedma...@aol.com>; <e...@gamutstrings.com>; "Roman Turovsky" <r.turov...@verizon.net>; "Anthony Hind" <agno3ph...@yahoo.com>; "Christopher Wilke" <chriswi...@yahoo.com>
Cc: <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2010 3:22 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Karamazov

Very true!  To clarify - I have no problem with people moving to music
while performing, if it is genuinely felt.  It's when these motions and
expressions seem contrived to impress an audience that I have to stop
looking.  But that doesn't mean I have to stop listening ; )
 Tom
I find that only people who think of themselves as serious musicians
or music lovers have a problem with performers moving to the music.
My advice to those bothered by what they perceive as someone "getting
into it too much" would be either A) Don't look, just listen B) Accept
it as an alternative style of performance that may not necessarily be
your own preference or C) Travel back in time to the gallant era when
such things mattered (just be sure to avoid Mozart, who once broke a
shoe because he was stomping along so forcefully to the music).  To
me, the only way one's movements can really distract from my enjoyment
of the music is if a performer is missing notes because they're
flipping their lutes around their necks or something.

No one owns this music, even less the way one chooses to look while
playing it.

Chris

Christopher Wilke
Lutenist, Guitarist and Composer