Hear, Hear!
From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf Of
Christopher Wilke [chriswi...@yahoo.com]
Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2010 10:23 AM
To: Edward Mast; e...@gamutstrings.com; Roman Turovsky; Anthony Hind
Cc: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Karamazov

I find that only people who think of themselves as serious musicians or music
lovers have a problem with performers moving to the music.  My advice to those
bothered by what they perceive as someone "getting into it too much" would be
either A) Don't look, just listen B) Accept it as an alternative style of
performance that may not necessarily be your own preference or C) Travel back
in time to the gallant era when such things mattered (just be sure to avoid
Mozart, who once broke a shoe because he was stomping along so forcefully to
the music).  To me, the only way one's movements can really distract from my
enjoyment of the music is if a performer is missing notes because they're
flipping their lutes around their necks or something.

No one owns this music, even less the way one chooses to look while playing it.

Chris

Christopher Wilke
Lutenist, Guitarist and Composer
www.christopherwilke.com