Dear Anthony and All,

Just a few points which may be of interest:

Anthony, I think there's no need to look for any imperfections in the lute beyond the broken string, the symbolism of which would have been perfectly clear to anyone, unlike some of the other (possible) imperfections you mention.

Bridge holes in old lutes (e.g. 1592 Venere) are often large and rather low. I think they were often drilled after the bridge was attached to the lute, as bridges are often longer than they strictly need to be - it's one way of getting the alignment of the outer strings correct, I suppose. The height of the holes may or may not influence the height of the strings, which may (with difficulty) be persuaded to be a little higher or lower. In later lutes they tend to pull up to the little ledge at the top of the bridge anyway.

The interesting thing about the frets is that they are thin (about the same thickness as the 3rd or 4th course?) and double - whereas most modern lutenists like thick single frets. Also the first fret seems to be simply tied, not burnt at the ends.

The close up shows what I have always suspected - that the nut sits in a sloped rebate, not a right-angled one.

The close up also shows that I was wrong (in 1993) about the shape of the ends of the bridge - I couldn't make them out, and persuaded myself that they were a kind of fleur de lys shape - whereas in fact they are round, as usual for this period.

I wonder if the rose is inset? It's certainly a different colour from the soundboard, perhaps varnished?

Whoever bleached the strings did a good job - they are indeed, as Dowland said a "whitish-grey or ash colour", except the low octaves of the 5th and 6th, which seem slightly browner.

The thickest string seems to be no more than about 1mm, maybe 1.2mm? Somewhat thinner than we might expect. Note it has exactly the same smoothness as the other strings - no ropes here!

Best wishes,

Martin