Well, maybe not epoxy...

In any event, all arguments of what *they* might have done if they'd had
*whatever* on hand are moot if they didn't.  Corbetta had no fluorocarbon;
Bach didn't own a Steinway grand; etc.  I have no idea what musical tools
may be available five decades into the future, but assuming I would be
making music with them if I had them now is as speculative (and potentially
wrong) as it is irrelevant.  Being only one person, I don't use most of
those available to me right now.  Modern players should feel free to make
musical hardware decisions based on any practicalities of personal use.  If
that involves gut diapasons, excellent!  If it involves wire-wound nylon
multifilament basses, it should be obvious that that wasn't as Piccinini
conducted his business, but that's great too.

I have a smattering of gut, gimped gut, silver-wound silk, brass wire,
Nylgut (both old and new incarnations), fluorocarbon, nylon monofilament,
wound nylon, and D'Addario's proprietary wound "Composite" strings scattered
across my miscellaneous few instruments.  I wouldn't dare to prescribe such
decisions to anybody who isn't me.  Nor would I belittle anybody else for
such choices if they convinced me of merit via beautiful sound.

Eugene