I think the most important idea that Chris has brought up here is that
   we need to consider the other sounds that musicians would have had in
   their heads from the other instruments and music that was part of their
   world.
   Nancy

         My dissatisfaction with gut rests primarily on fact that I find
     it very difficult to replicate the style of phrasing that I hear
     from baroque wind instruments, bowed string players (with baroque
     bows) and, above all, vocalists.  Period treatises for these
     musicians place a great emphasis on dynamic shading, such as the
     messa di voce and this is very difficult to emulate on a lute strung
     in modern gut.  (It is difficult on synthetics, but, due the greater
     sustain, less so.)  On the renaissance lute, things are not as
     crucial since the often profuse ornamentation has a sort of
     "flattening" effect.  On the baroque lute, however, I have great
     difficulties reconciling the sonic characteristics of modern gut
     with important stylistic traits of the music.
         In the baroque lute literature, this is especially important as
     the structure of the music is often made up of fairly large gestures
     (for example, an arpeggiated figure on a single harmony over several
     bars) which must be grouped accordingly.  With the faster decay time
     of modern gut on a plucked instrument, the implication would be to
     just play faster, but I've found this unconvincing often enough to
     make me suspicious of the material's sonic properties as a valid
     indicator for performance.  At least, I don't hear the above
     mentioned non-lute instruments playing similar items in the manner
     that a lute strung in modern gut seems to demand.
         Another context is the long appoggiatura.  This is the
     expressive backbone of baroque music and the lute literature is no
     exception.  With modern gut these often seem rather inexpressive to
     me and that is a real problem.  The other instruments/voices go to
     extra effort to emphasize the drama of the moment by doing a
     crescendo/messa di voce on the dissonant note and relaxing on the
     resolution.  On a gut-strung lute, however, the notes of the
     underlying harmony will often have died away before the consonant
     note is even sounded.  To me, this robs the whole complex of its
     expressive purpose.  I suppose one could argue that this is part of
     the special charm on the lute: a listener, who is familiar with the
     vocabulary of baroque style, will recognize when the performer has
     set up an appoggiatura and, taking care to remember the harmonically
     contextualizing notes even though they're gone, will "fill in the
     blanks" in the mind's ear to achieve a sort of
      mental pleasure from the simulacrum of expressivity in contrast to
     the sensuous pleasure gained from the real thing.  At least, that's
     what I find myself doing.  Personally, I don't want to make my
     listeners work that hard.  And again, based on what I hear other
     non-lute HIP musicians doing, I don't buy it as a historical
     probability.
     Anyways, that's my 415 cents.
     Chris
     Christopher Wilke
     Lutenist, Guitarist and Composer
     [1]www.christopherwilke.com
     --- On Tue, 8/30/11, David van Ooijen <davidvanooi...@gmail.com>
     wrote:
     > From: David van Ooijen <davidvanooi...@gmail.com>
     > Subject: [LUTE] Re: long strings?
     > To: "andy butler" <akbut...@tiscali.co.uk>
     > Cc: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
     > Date: Tuesday, August 30, 2011, 4:38 AM
     > On 30 August 2011 10:27, andy butler
     > <akbut...@tiscali.co.uk>
     > wrote:
     >
     > > Beginner's questions.
     > >
     > > Is the superiority of gut down to the shorter sustain
     > time
     > > that someone mentioned earlier?
     > >
     > > Is string damping really unpopular? (unnecessary?)
     >
     > No such thing as a beginner's question.
     >
     > Superiority is not a word I would use for gut, as gut
     > strings are
     > imprefect in many ways. Another level, their imperfectiong
     > makes me
     > like the sound better, they're more insteresting than bland
     > and boring
     > synthetics (and there's the whole argument of why bother to
     > play an
     > 'early' instrument when using 'modern' strings to produce
     > the sound,
     > but I'll happily leave that to another discussion).
     >
     > Shorter sustain in extended basses is a happy side effect
     > of gut,
     > making damping of said basses unneccecary. I feel we can
     > get an idea
     > of the expected sustain from the music, and to my feeling a
     > shorter
     > sustain than metal-wound basses is called for in especially
     > Baroque
     > lute music. A 'gut' feeling, if you like. ;-)
     >
     > David
     >

     > --

   Nancy Carlin Associates
   P.O. Box 6499
   Concord, CA 94524  USA
   phone 925/686-5800 fax 925/680-2582
   web sites - [4]www.nancycarlinassociates.com
   [5]www.groundsanddivisions.info
   Representing:
   FROM WALES - Crasdant  & Carreg Lafar,  FROM ENGLAND - Jez Lowe & Jez
   Lowe & The Bad Pennies, and now representing EARLY MUSIC - The Venere
   Lute Quartet, The Good Pennyworths & Morrongiello & Young
   Administrator THE LUTE SOCIETY OF AMERICA
   web site - [6]http://LuteSocietyofAmerica.org