As I understand it, playing with octaves you should play the fundamental and brush the octave (simultaineously) as a habit so the ear hears the bass note correctly and still unconsciously digests the overtones keeping the sound bright and light.

This is only my interpretation of it over the years.

Sean

On Nov 20, 2011, at 10:53 AM, William Samson wrote:

  Certainly, Ed.  But how many vihuelas do we see nowadays in these
  configurations?  In fact I wonder if there's a single one that isn't
  set up with unisons throughout and a double first?  We're very
conservative (with a small 'c') when it comes to pushing the envelope.
  I wonder if there was any recognised difference between how lutes and
  vihuelas were strung in a given place at the time.  Nowadays, though,
we're very blinkered about it all and conform to templates which are in
  some ways questionable.
  I'd love to hear Milan, say, played on an octave strung vihuela, or
  Milano on a unison strung 6c lute.
  Bill
  From: Edward Martin <e...@gamutstrings.com>
  To: William Samson <willsam...@yahoo.co.uk>; "lute@cs.dartmouth.edu"
  <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
  Sent: Sunday, 20 November 2011, 18:31
  Subject: [LUTE] Re: Double 1st string on 6 course lutes?
  Thanks for the reference, Bill.  There have been new discoveries
  since the time the article was written, where we now cannot claim
  that vihuelas were string in unison.  Some were, others were
  not.  They may have had the double first course, but there is
  evidence to the contrary that some vihuelas were string in octaves on
  4,5, and 6th courses.
  ed