This is hilarious - we "know" that vihuelas had unison basses, therefore if they had double trebles, there is a connection between double trebles and unison basses, even on lutes.

Just how many false assumptions are in there? I've lost count, but vihuelas may or may not have had unison basses and/or double trebles (in both cases I think there is no evidence either way).

It's certainly true that lutes sometimes had double trebles, and sometimes (perhaps mostly) had octaved basses. It seems unlikely that vihuelas of the same period had no octaved basses, in spite of wishful thinking by some people in the 20th C. It may be true that vihuelas sometimes (or usually) had double trebles, we simply don't know.

Martin