Monica is quite right in pointing out that de Visee was never Louis XIV's
official guitar teacher, which brings up another question. It has been years
since I looked into the matter, but I find this in my notes. Perhaps someone
can remind me of the Benoit citation. It identifies de la Salle as Spanish:

>From 1650 Bernard Jourdan de la Salle, a native of Saint-Luc, was the King's
>teacher of the guitar. He was replaced by his son Louis Anne in 1695.
"1681. Juillet. Naturalité pour Bernard Jourdan dit la Salle, natif de St. Luc
en Espagne, faisant profession de la Religion catholique, apostolique et
romanine." Benoit, p.79.

Just who was this Bernard Jourdan de la Salle, and where was Saint-Luc? Why is
there no surviving music by him?

Peter Danner