Not sure about that Mimmo... Mersenne is a scientist, therefore a precise
observer and his observations are worth considering seriously. When he
describes the duration of the sound of the bass stings of a lute, he takes care
to precise ""...le son des grosses chordes de Luth est apperceu de l'oreille
durant la sixiesme partie, ou le tiers d'une minute...", the sound is preceived
by the ear for 10 to 20 seconds. And a few lines further he says : "...Il n'y a
nul doute que la chorde se meut encore long-temps après que l'oreille en perd
le son..." = there is no doubt that the strings still moves a long time after
the ear has lost its sound. So he is not confusing vibration and sound, not at
all !
Now, as Matthew remarked, we don't know about the conditions in which the test
was done. If the lute is laid on a table, it might certainly influence the
parameters of the experience...

Best,

Jean-Marie