Sent: Monday, January 09, 2017 11:42 AM
To: Mimmo Peruffo ; Matthew Daillie
Cc: Rob MacKillop ; 'Lute List'
Subject: Re: [LUTE] Re: Aquila Loaded Nylgut sustain

Not sure about that Mimmo... Mersenne is a scientist, therefore a precise observer and his observations are worth considering seriously. When he describes the duration of the sound of the bass stings of a lute, he takes care to precise ""...le son des grosses chordes de Luth est apperceu de l'oreille durant la sixiesme partie, ou le tiers d'une minute...", the sound is preceived by the ear for 10 to 20 seconds. And a few lines further he says : "...Il n'y a nul doute que la chorde se meut encore long-temps après que l'oreille en perd le son..." = there is no doubt that the strings still moves a long time after the ear has lost its sound. So he is not confusing vibration and sound, not at all ! Now, as Matthew remarked, we don't know about the conditions in which the test was done. If the lute is laid on a table, it might certainly influence the parameters of the experience...

Best,

Jean-Marie

--------------

I am lucky: I have  seen /installed strings on some hundreds od lutes in
these last years. Maybe I can be in mistake, but I have never seen a lute,
whose basses are roped strings or even loaded roped strings, whose  sustain
is so long. Even with modern Pyramid nylon wound strings (they have in
absolute the higher density) .
I would like to know if here there is somebody that can have a positive
experience in matter.  At present I would stick that Mersenne  meant  how
many time last  the vibration, not the sound.
Mimmo

-----Messaggio originale----- From: Matthew Daillie