I am lucky: I have seen /installed strings on some hundreds od lutes in these last years. Maybe I can be in mistake, but I have never seen a lute, whose basses are roped strings or even loaded roped strings, whose sustain is so long. Even with modern Pyramid nylon wound strings (they have in absolute the higher density) . I would like to know if here there is somebody that can have a positive experience in matter. At present I would stick that Mersenne meant how many time last the vibration, not the sound.
Mimmo

-----Messaggio originale----- From: Matthew Daillie
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2017 10:52 AM
To: Mimmo Peruffo
Cc: Rob MacKillop ; Lute List
Subject: Re: [LUTE] Re: Aquila Loaded Nylgut sustain

One thing nobody seems to have mentioned is the vast differences in sustain from one instrument to another. Maybe Mersenne's comments go to show just how good some lutes were at the time. If one was to rest a lute on the edge of a wooden table as they were wont to do at the time, then maybe those 20 seconds are not so unrealistic.
Best,
Matthew=