Von: Ron Andrico
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 6. März 2019 13:59
An: Martin Shepherd; Lute List
Antwort an: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu
Betreff: [LUTE] Re: right hand technique -- bending the pinky

   Perhaps the mis-remembered quotation is a conflation of Besard and
   Vallet, who recommended thumb-index for fast passages.  Nevertheless,
   music from around 1600 forward in time should be played with the thumb
   out if we are to follow the written advice and the iconography.  I
   still see far too may baroque lute and theorbo players using
   thumb-under, which is patently absurd given both the historical
   precedent and the physical layout of extended bass instruments.  Isn't
   it about time lute players moved forward from the guitarist versus
   lutenist nonsense from the 1970s and played according to actual
   historical examples?