So true, Robert (and Martyn). The loss of thumb-index alternation also
   led to the loss of strong-weak beats within passaggi. Granted both
   thumb and index are expected to engage both strings, it's inevitable
   that one would win out being stronger and on the fundamental side.
   When index-middle played the same strings (and often only one of them)
   that dimension is lost. Eventually the prevailing aesthetic decided
   this was better than before.
   Sean