I'm genuinely interested in what historical lutes sounded like and how they were played, so I'm not so interested in a "whatever works for you" approach, however popular it may be, along with single strung "archlutes", microscopic theorboes, and other horrors which are nothing to do with historical evidence.

I think if there is a "dominant" lute technique it is "thumb out"(TO), because it certainly existed in the 16th C and became the normal technique from c.1600 on.  But when I look at the iconography, like Jurgen I see fingers at right angles to the strings, and even a suggestion that strings were approached from beneath (as happens when I try this position, because my middle finger is long compared to the others).  Nails, even if very short, come into the picture too.  So I think we have a long way to go to appreciate the sound and technique of TO, and (as with the first attempts at TU in the 1970s) we have a lot of experimentation to do to arrive at something which feels natural and efficient.  It's not just a question of reverting to "classical guitar" technique - whatever you conceive that to be - but a more difficult process of exploration and experimentation.

Martin