Having acquired an 8c lute in late December makes the subject incredible
relevant to me. I hope nobody is offended when I put down some personal
practical observations without referring to historic evidence.
The entire hand position needs to be different, I think. (1) As it is possible
to play p-i lines on all courses doing so with m-i ends for me somewhere on the
middle F string - the inside of the hand would just mute the high g string
because of the pinky that is planted on the sound board with my European
average hand. (2) Playing distinctive bass lines on the 7th and 8th course
while playing m-i on the upper courses forces (I believe) the hand to turn more
like 45 degrees or so towards the strings and not any longer "almost parallel"
as is practical for earlier music.
The challenge to me is to produce a "gentle" sound and finger nails are a more
urgent matter than playing on a 6c lute thumb out. From what people say here I
conclude that this is quite a personal matter, individuals have different nail
growth and sound ideals.
Or would you just lift the pinky? I don't think so because it is the GPS sensor
for string geography.

On the images in Jean-Marie's links I find it surprising that the hand is
actually almost at 90 degrees to the strings, quite like classical guitar
players but the hand is placed at the corner of the bridge, miles away from the
rosette. Once again, placing the hand there would automatically turn the hand
around even further.

Best regards
Jürgen

“There is a voice that doesn’t use words. Listen.”

Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Rumi