On Sat, 5 Feb 2000, Allan Rae wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Feb 2000, Kevin Atkinson wrote:

> At this point the GNOME people will be fuming because they don't have a
> decent generic spell checker interface so either you or they can write a
> wrapper in C for the generic spell-checker library.  Of course those
> diehard C bigots out there will instead opt to rewrite ispell from scratch
> using OO techniques and make it dependent upon some dozen or so GNOME
> libraries rendering it completely useless to the rest of the known
> universe.

I take it you don't like Gnome???

> So maybe now you understand what I mean.

I understood what you meant from the beginning.  I was just thinking to go
for maximum portability and write by wrapper library in pure C but I think
I will use C++.  See below.

> > I could develop a new interface which conforms to the mozilla portability
> > guidelines (http://www.mozilla.org/hacking/portable-cpp.html). However
> > that still leaves out C programs from using my interface.  Then I could
> > wrap wrap my C++ interface in C.
>
> This is almost the same as what I've been telling you in all my emails.

The thing is that I also went it to be acceptable for AbiWord and Mozilla.
I know that AbiWord has decided to directly incorporate the ispell source
into there distribution and use it as I library.  Yuck...

I think that I will have my actual library portable enough to make mozilla
and AbiWord people happy (and any one else who has stay in the dark ages
of C++ guide lines) but then provide some extra headers which will add
exception support and template wrapper to some of the classes to increase
type safety.

Do you think that would be a good solution.  Do you plan on using
exceptions in LyX any time soon.  I know from me own experience that
exceptions greatly reduce the amount of error checking code I have to
write because I can just wrap my entire code in one big try block like
this

int main()
try {
} catch (exception & e) {
  cerr << e.what() << endl;
  return -1;
}

And only worry about errors when I need to do something special.

> > PS: Is there a way to get LyX to read in a .lyx file and generate a .tex
> > file from the command line so that I can fully automate the building of
> > the manual.
>
> get lyx-1.1.4:
>
> lyx --export latex filename.lyx
>
> you still need a display and windows will open and close but it's all
> automated thanks to Andre'.

Ok I will try it out.  The latest pre release was a bit anting to use
so I went back to 1.1.12 but I will give this new supposable stable version
a try.

---
Kevin Atkinson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]