Kevin Atkinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

| Unfortunately my spell checker has two barriers against it being adapted
| by mainstream Open Soutce programs.  1) It is written in C++ and all two
| many Open Source projects are still in pure C.  2) It is written in very
| modern C++ which means it is not the most portable thing in the
| world.

Perfect for LyX then.

| So, what I would like to now is instead of coming up with a interface
| for just LyX I would like to come up with a pure C interace/library
| which will use aspell if it is available and if not use Ispell.

C is not good for C++ programs. (usable yes, but not good)

| Are you up to working with me on designing such an interface?  I will
| handle the Aspell interface while I will late someone else handle the
| ispell interface.  I will also need lots of help because I have no clue
| how to dynamically load code at run time.

Why do you need to do that?
Anyway look at the dload in libtool. That is more or less portable
interface to different systems dlopen.

| The code you write for this library will need to be under the LGPL as
| also want commercial programs to be able to use it.  My eventual goal is
| to have ALL programs use this library instead of either using ispell
| directory through a pipe or writing a spell checker of there own.

If you do this well (and in C++) I am sure KDE will embrace it, and
LyX will probably use it too. However I am not sure how much coding
help we (I) can give.

        Lgb