Peter Kümmel wrote:
Dov Feldstern wrote:
OK, here's my original patch for bug 1820 (without the second part,
identical to what I originally sent in). It solves most cases, as far as
I can determine is safe (I tried it on my documents with complex bidi /
encoding / language transitions), and it does not constitute a format
change, IMO.

If possible, it would be nice if this could go in to 1.5.0, preferably
after some other developers test it (no real active testing needed ---
just apply and make sure it doesn't break anything, specifically in
terms of language / encoding transitions). If not, I guess it's not the
end of the world, because since it doesn't constitute a format change,
we can apply it in 1.5.1.

OK, it compiles at least with msvc, and I could open, scroll, and build
the german user guide (pdf), but is this enough?

Thanks, Peter. I don't know, I'm getting confused with all this... :( . I now think that this *is* a format switch...

What the patch is trying to fix is the case where a language switch was being missed, for example in the following situation:

document language is english
\lang english
bla bla bla
\lang hebrew
BLA BLA BLA
\footnote
\lang english   <----
bla bla bla

The marked language switch was being missed, because LyX was assuming the language at the beginning of a new paragraph is either the language of the previous paragraph, or if there is none, the language of the document. However, inside the inset, paragraph count start at 0 again --- so there's no previous paragraph, so LyX assumes the current language is english, and therefore decides that the "\lang english" command is unnecessary upon entering the inset. LyX is wrong, however: as far as latex is concerned, upon entering the footnote, the current language is hebrew, and therefore to input english, it *is* necessary to include the \lang english command inside the footnote...

So that's what I'm trying to solve. The problem is, I may be breaking other, similar, situations...