"R. Lahaye" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

| "Lars Gullik Bjønnes" wrote:
| > Yes, the two second learning curve can be pretty hard.
| > (what is nicest "Ctrl-x Ctrl-f" or "C-x C-f"?)
|
| I'm rather addressing "Why is it "M", when all keyboards
| I've seen in my entire life say "Alt"? And then why not
| use "Shift" and "Ctrl" as well. In a variable width font
| it's just a little more space.

Why 'M'? That is an emacs (or UNIX) artifact. Unix keyboards usually
have both Meta and Alt keys and on PC keyboards meta is often done
through alt. I think it would be wrong for us to change this, if only
for historical reasons.

| I probably once again am swimming against the stream here.
| Let me say why:
|
| Especially for a newbie, LyX is complicated and the
| default install is not "newbie-optimized" I believe.

And rightly so!
Systems that are "newbie-optimized" tend to be "newbie-limited".

| I think it would be nice if it was. Keep in mind:
| 1) many 2 second learning curves add up to .....
| 2) people use not only LyX, but also other software

If you expect to use a tool (more than 2 sec a day) you must be
expected to invest some time in learning to use that tool.

        Lgb