I tested all 3 versions with the OS set to french (Normally I would set the OS to Icelandic but ther is no icelandic version of LyX so I did not notice any problem)

I have got an ppc mac running OS 10.4.11 and the test results are the following:

LyX_t0 did not pick up the OS language
LyX_t1 did pick up the OS language
LyX_t2 did not pick up the OS language

I have not experienced the second problem

Bjarnthor