Guillaume Munch wrote:
> I understand this idea of "freezing" the setting, in order to set a
> custom value on opening. The current approach I have in mind is to read
> and save to a per-user-per-document (cursor-location-like) setting when
> save_user_preferences is false, so that the value on opening corresponds
> to the user's previous session. The two approaches are in conflict, so
> one has to choose between the two.

Yep, that's basically the same conflict which started the whole issue
("choosing a setting for everybody else"). You know my opinion about the
issue, but since you are the one who implements it and there is indeed
partial overlap with "\save_user_preferences true" go ahead :)

Cosmetic thing - the naming "save_user_preferences" is confusing precisely
because there are diverging opinions what user vs document pref is
so maybe using for file format something like vcs_simplify_format
or similar would be better.

Pavel