Le 27/02/2016 03:44, Jerry a écrit :
If I remove
/Library/TeX/texbin:/usr/texbin:/sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/opt/local/teTeX/bin:

 from the front of the PATH prefix and run Reconfigure, it runs in
15-20 seconds. The first time I saw a luatex instance in Activity
Monitor but on subsequent runs it did not appear--I suppose it's
possible that it ran so quickly that Activity Monitor did not have a
 chance to show it.

This of course has no effect on running

python -tt "/Applications/Words/LyXOuterFolder/LyX
2.2.0beta2/LyX.app/Contents/Resources/configure.py"
--with-version-suffix=-2.2
--binary-dir="/Applications/Words/LyXOuterFolder/LyX
2.2.0beta2/LyX.app/Contents/MacOS/"

from a terminal session which still stays on +Indexing TeX files...
for about 34 minutes.

Have you changed the value of PATH under both lyx 2.1 and 2.2 ?

I still do not understand why the above makes the two issues seem
unrelated whereas in your description below I get the impression that
closing the luatex processes makes you skip the 34-minute waiting time.

The luatex process starts almost as soon as I hit Reconfigure.
 I Quit it (force quit not required) using Activity Monitor.
LyX is unresponsive for about a minute, then the message

The system has been reconfigured. You need to restart LyX to
make use of any updated document class specifications.

appears. At that point, LyX seems to operate normally. Also it
 operates normally after quitting and relaunching.