On 2017-04-25, Uwe Stöhr wrote:
> El 25.04.2017 a las 07:41, Guenter Milde escribió:

>> In this case, shouldn't it be named "right/left", as "before/after" would
>> mean reverse placement (left/right) in RTL languages?

> At first I sent the patch using left/right but JMarc said that this
> would be incorrect for RTL languages. I cannot get such a case here but
> as JMarc wrote today that he gets this. Thus we need to investigate that
> further how and when leqno leads to numbering at the right side.

> I see that in an RTL language "after" is the left side, so in fact
> naming "before/after" is dfinitly more problematic than "left/right".
> I'll change this now.

Thank you.

> Here is Hatim's Physics book:
> https://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/ohodquizgame/Books/physics.pdf?r=https%3A%2F%2Fsourceforge.net%2Fprojects%2Fohodquizgame%2Ffiles%2FBooks%2F&ts=1493158062&use_mirror=kent

> All formulas are numbered at the right side and neither the document
> class leqno nor reqno is used according to the source:
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/ohodquizgame/files/Books/physics_source_lyx2.2.1.zip/download

So, it seems in arabic equation numbering does not change sides.
It still may be different with babel vs. polyglossia, with other RTL
languages and/or additional packages.

The safe option would be a 3-way setting:

equation numbers:
            default    # no option
            left       # leqno
            right      # reqno + require("amsmath")

? This would also fit in the scheme to name opion settings that don't insert
code "default".

Günter