El 29.04.2017 a las 16:38, Guenter Milde escribió:

So, it seems in arabic equation numbering does not change sides.
It still may be different with babel vs. polyglossia, with other RTL
languages and/or additional packages.

The safe option would be a 3-way setting:

I don't understand. All my tests show that leqno works for RTL languages the same way as for LTR languages. So unless there is a case where leqno shifts the number to the right side I don't see why we should act. It might be that certain document classes change the default to left numbering but then the leqno wouldn't do anything.

Of course we could also offer reqno but I don't know what side effects this will have. for example some classes for scientific articles use their own version of amsmath. Or in case they switch the default to left numbering it might be that the journal doesn't allow numbering at the right side.
Therefore I am reluctant to add support for reqno or not.

regards uwe