On 2017-08-14, Stephan Witt wrote:

>>> One can easily see the images are converted by rsvg-convert on my Mac.
>>> This one I’ve installed with MacPorts.

>> The to-be-converted image is in spash.lyx. It may be a better to remove
>> it from the document (unless the required converter can be bundled with
>> LyX).

> Yes, I see. That’s a difference indeed.

> And no, there are much more icons in the user guide. I cannot imagine to
> remove all these icons.

Yes, removing the reference to an svgz image in splash is just a stop-gap
measure: splash is opened by default and its not a good idea to greet a new
user with a waring!

> A more smart conversion process should be implemented
> instead. Isn’t this a possible problem for LyX on Linux too?

On Linux, "software packages" can define dependencies and recommendations.

In Debian/stable, LyX depends on libqt5svg5 (>=5.6.0~beta) and
suggests librsvg2-bin or inkscape.

* If the QT svg library is always requrired, it could/should be used as
  fallback for the conversion of svg/svgz images in the GUI-preview.

* If some requirement framework exists for Mac, LyX could be depend on or be
  bundled with rsvg.

>> The lyx directories are shown with Help>About LyX.
>> This should be documented in Tutorial 2.1 along with the suggestion to open
>> examples/lyx_raw.lyx.

> Yes, maybe. But this doesn’t really help. One cannot traverse
> into the LyX.app bundle from file open dialog. There is only
> the symlink solution or something similar.

What is the "lyx dir" shown by Help>About LyX?

What is the restriction of the file open dialogue?

>>> This is an old problem. I don’t have a solution for it, sorry.
>>> See http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/6861

>> See also http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/9301

> Another option I’d like to propose would be a dedicated LFUN for opening
> the example file <filename.lyx> to be opened like the help files which
> can be used to point the file open dialog to the system examples folder
> when fired without argument. This LFUN may be bound to a special
> „Open Example...“ menu item. Perhaps a special one on Mac or Windows…

Sounds good.

Günter