Le 14/08/2017 à 09:43, Jean-Pierre Chrétien a écrit :

A French user complains sadly about a couple of problems with LyX (first
experience).

Thanks for your answers, here is a summary.

His problems:
 1) opening splash.lyx, gets a message

   No information for converting svgz format files to pdf6.\n
   Define a converter in the preferences.

If a MacOS user has not inskscape nor librsvg installed, he will get this in splash.lyx but also in the manuals (e.g. UserGuide where there are a lot of similar icons in the text). This is not a good welcome page for fresh users.

Solutions:
1/ remove the image in splash.lyx. Welcome is better, but the problem will reappear soon when the manuals are navigated. 2/ leave the image as a warning of further problems and add a note for Mac Users to give a hint about librsvg installation, like

http://macappstore.org/librsvg/

 3/ include rsvg-convert in the mac OS LyX bundle.

For 2.3.0, 2/ seems best unless Stephan can manage 3/
For 2.2.x, 2/ seems best either.

As far as other systems are concerned:
* with linux, conversion is made either by qt5 (libqt5svg5), or by rsvg-convert (librsvg2-bin) or inkscape. Can all of these be missing
(with Debian, libqt5svg5 is a lyx dependency so the answer is no)?
 * with Windows, is librsvg bundled with the Windows installer, Uwe?
Can qt5 perform the conversion?

 2) Opening the Tutorial, section 2.1, he fiddles about a lot to find the
installation folder where are the examples, As he does not find it in the Mac
directories, he finally opens the lyx package and uncompresses it in a local
place.

This is a long term issue on macOS and maybe on Windows.
 1/ On MacOS and Windows there is no 'Examples button' in the File>Open dialog
 2/ on MacOS, the LyX bundle cannot be navigated with File>Open (greyed out)

The only current solution to access the examples folders is a symlink created by the user. It can also be created at runtime in a similar manner as what was done for the templates folder (at e4fada8c/lyxgit) or by the creation of a specific LFUN.

<cite>
On 08/14/2017 09:08 AM, Stephan Witt wrote:

> Another option I’d like to propose would be a dedicated LFUN for opening
> the example file <filename.lyx> to be opened like the help files which
> can be used to point the file open dialog to the system examples folder
> when fired without argument. This LFUN may be bound to a special
> „Open Example...“ menu item. Perhaps a special one on Mac or Windows…
</cite>

Adding the example files to be accessed from the Help menu like the specific manuals has also been proposed.

For 2.3.0 (and 2.2.x), the best seems to add a note to MacOS users in section 2.1 of the Tutorial (section where it is suggested to play with example_raw.lyx and example_lyxified.lyx), explaining how to create the symlink or copy the files in a navigable location, e.g.
~/Library/Application Support/LyX-2.0/examples/
(see ticket #9301). Unless of course a symlink can be added in the code...

Uwe, what is the status of the access to the example folders on Windows?

 3) Trying another document class, he selects Docbook (not a good choice for a
beginner IMHO). And when he wants to open it, this triggers the firefox of his
windows virtual box. Then he goes to Tools>Preferences>Converters and is quite
sarcastic about the dialog window about LyXHTML, which he does not understand.
It's a bit curious in fact (no viewer defined), see attached.

Dr Eberhard Lisse has a similar Virtual box installed and has no problems, I think that the user has a problem with his setup.

I can take care of a note in splash.lyx.

--
Jean-Pierre