On 14.08.17, Stephan Witt wrote:
> Am 14.08.2017 um 14:46 schrieb Guenter Milde <mi...@users.sf.net>:
> > On 2017-08-14, Stephan Witt wrote:

> >> One can easily see the images are converted by rsvg-convert on my Mac.

> > Mind, that all icons in the toolbar work without external converter.

Yes, OSx can convert SVG to preview-bitmaps.
You can do this from the command line with "qlmanage"
https://superuser.com/questions/134679/command-line-application-for-converting-svg-to-png-on-mac-os-x

Unfortunatly, this is not a good option for SVG graphics that should end up
as vector in the PDF output.
(And, if I remember right, converting to a bitmap is also supported by QT.)

> > The to-be-converted image is in spash.lyx. It may be a better to remove
> > it from the document (unless the required converter can be bundled with
> > LyX).

> Yes, I see. That’s a difference indeed.

> And no, there are much more icons in the user guide. I cannot imagine to
> remove all these icons.

True. However, errors when opening the UserGuide are less severe than errors
with every start of LyX. If there is no way to ensure LyX comes with an SVG
converter on Mac, removing the SVG icon from Splash.lyx is a stop-gap measure
to prevent it opening as "unwelcome screen".

> A more smart conversion process should be implemented
> instead. Isn’t this a possible problem for LyX on Linux too?

In Linux, it is the work of the packagers (creating a Debian LyX package,
say) to ensure all requirements for proper working are met.
In Debian, this is

requires: ... libqt5svg5 (>=5.6.0~beta), ...
suggests: ..., librsvg2-bin | inkscape, ...

The above link lists some options for converting SVG to other formats.
For SVG to PDF, we have

inkscape (good but large)

librsvg  (problem with many images on one side -- breaks the internal preview
          -- maybe we can solve this with some librsvg setting?)

svglib   pure Python, but requires ReportLab (not tested)
         https://pypi.python.org/pypi/svglib/

cairosvg based on the Cairo 2D graphics library;
         known to work at least on Linux, OS X, and Windows;
         requires Python 3
         http://cairosvg.org/

I don't have a Mac, so I cannot test.

Günter