Amir Karger wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 08:29:07AM +0200, Andre Poenitz wrote:
> >
> > > - LaTeX things LyX can't do: my favorite example is \section[foo]{bar},
> > >   which is supposedly going to be supported someday.
> >
> > Even the old mathed read \sqrt[3]{x} so I guess it is possible...
>
> Oh, it's definitely possible. The problem with \section is that people
> haven't decided (AFAIK) on a GUI way to represent that a section should have
> a different title in the TOC, which is what \section[foo] does.

The obvious GUI way for (at least for someone who don't know
latex already) is to let them edit the TOC directly, changing the
names as they see fit.

This might make it harder to see what the TOC refers to, so
maybe displaying the [foo] part in the section text makes sense.
Perhaps with a different color to distingusih it from the stuff
that actually will print.  This is also friendlier to latex
experts.

Helge Hafting