Andre> On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 05:53:25PM +0200, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes
Andre> wrote:
>> This is not exactly what I had in mind, since for an unknown macro
>> (say \foo), I'd still want automatic instertion of braces.
>>
>> Fell free to tell me that you don't want to fix that :)

Andre> I don't want to fix that.

OK.

Andre> PS: BTW how often do you use \macrowithoutarg{ ?

This is not the problem I had in mind. Assume there is a macros \foo
which takes an argument and which for some reason is not known to
mathed. When I type \foo{, I'd like to have the red braces. But
obviously, if I type, say, \sqrt{, I do not expect to have the braces,
since they are already provided by mathed.

Anyway, I thought about a different thing this morning (for later :).
In mathed you have some macros which only have a scope of one
character (like font changes), while most of them create a box, from
which you have to exit later. The (La)TeX behaviour is different: by
default, arguments are only one token, unless you add explicit braces
(add a box, in mathed terms). Why couldn't mathed have the same
behaviour? This makes simple formulas much easier to enter (a_i+b_i
vs. a_i<space>+b_i<space>) and would probably be intuitive to use. If
you want to have a longer subscript you can add a box, for example
with a lfun bound to (surprise!) the key {.

Does it make sense?