Juergen> On 11-Apr-2002 Jules Bean wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 10:46:38AM +0200, Andre Poenitz wrote:
>>> Yes, but I don't think I want implement this. We would need a
>>> 'stateful cursor' again to distiguish between '{' pressed or not,
>>> and editing probably would get a mess again. How should editing
>>> work when you want to change a_i to a_{ij}?
>>  No you don't. If '{' is not pressed, the cursor is in a 'single
>> char subscript'. If '{' is pressed, the cursor is in a full blown
>> box math (inset). So the cursor's state is expressed by where it
>> is?

Juergen> Yes but he's still right how would you "edit" when in single
Juergen> mode? We would have to introduce a lot of code just for this
Juergen> case as you cannot simply add a box before the i and where
Juergen> are you supposed to press '{' in that case?

How would you do that in latex? First you add {} around the single
char, then you add other chars. You can just do the same here.