Andre> Yes, but I don't think I want implement this. We would need a
Andre> 'stateful cursor' again to distiguish between '{' pressed or
Andre> not, and editing probably would get a mess again.

No, an argument would be a single inset , which can be either a
single token (character, anything that make sense) or a `box inset'. A
`box inset' is an inset which contains a string of math insets.

Andre> How should editing work when you want to change a_i to a_{ij}?

Using your award-winning (and patent pending) method of selecting the
'i' and using math-box-insert, which would create a box with i in it.

Note that I am not sure that this is better in all respects (and
unfortunately one has to implement it to find out), but it looks
interesting to me. And it gets you much closer to what TeX does.