Andre> I certainly would have a look at it if you came up with a
Andre> reference implementation.

I knew this was eventually coming...

Andre> What about \frac? Do I need to have four insets for this then?

Andre>   \frac12 \frac{11}2 \frac1{22} \frac{11}{22}

No. Let me rephrase it: a macro argument is a math inset. A math inset
can be any normal inset (for example a single character or a\frac, as
in %a_\frac{a}{b}$, which latex understands perfectly), but it can be
a 'box inset', which holds a string of insets and outputs them enclosed
in braces.

Andre> The saved ' ' key press durcing input does not really seem
Andre> worth the trouble of the additional complexity.

I think it is actually simpler, since a macro does not need to know
what are their arguments: they are just single insets.