On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 01:59:09PM +0200, Georg Baum wrote:
> Enrico Forestieri wrote:

> > However, you could also use other native apps apart from miktex, so it
> > is useful that both 1) and 2) return either posix- or win-style paths.
> > This is to be independent from the cygwin_path_fix switch and in my
> > patch it is done through the "Use Cygwin-style paths" checkbox.
>
> Not agreed. os::internal_path should always create posix-style paths. Why
> would we want other paths internally? If you think about presentation of
> paths to the user, then I would rather invent a new function
> display_path(), otherwise we mixup things.
> One could argue what os::external_path should do. In fact I am not really
> sure how to handle this on cygwin.

I do not understand why os::internal_path can return paths like C:/xxx
in the win32 version and cannot for the cygwin version. Note that the
test for an absolute path already takes that into account.
As regards os::external_path, it should be equivalent to os::internal_path,
as it is on *nix.

> > As a cygwin app can deal with both posix or win-style paths, we could
> > simply ditch the "Use Cygwin-style paths" checkbox and make 1) and 2)
> > always return pseudo win-style paths (I mean with forward slashes
> > because it seems that most windows programs understand that, even
> > notepad and word have no problems with forward slahes). But chances are
> > high that if you have cygwin, you also use all-cygwin apps, and if one
> > of them tries to be smart about deciding that a path is absolute or not,
> > you are in trouble, because you suddenly find that the current dir path
> > is prepended to your already absolute path.
> >
> > For this reason I think that the checkbox should stay.
>
> The checkbox does not really solve the fundamental problem: On cygwin, we
> don't know which of the external programs needs a cygwin style path, and
> which one needs a native windows path. rather than the checkbox I would
> like to have a more general mechanism, for example a wrapper script that is
> invoked instead of an external program and that can translate the paths.
> The configure script could then write the corresponding entries in
> lyxrc.default.

This way you simply add complexity. As it is now, os::external_path
already returns C:/xxx style paths depending on the checkbox status.
I want simply make that independent of \cygwin_path_fix_needed.
Notice that it works. I use it daily without problems with a mix
of cygwin and native apps. I use MikTeX and the native ImageMagick,
all other programs are cygwin's. Never noticed a problem.
Only recently the [EMAIL PROTECTED] bug has arised, and there is another one
that still has gone unnoticed and that I spotted browsing the sources.
Small things, easily fixed.

> > However, the cygwin version that I made available is the one I am using,
> > so if my copy is different from the official sources and this is not
> > acceptable for you, I will not provide other versions if you ask so, as
> > I don't want that you get blamed for it.
>
> I personally am fine as long as it is clearly labelld as a modified version.

Ok.

--
Enrico