Uwe Stöhr wrote:
Georg Baum schrieb:

No, you don't need admin privileges to _read_ registry entries, we need
to _write_ some, for example the global PATH variable for Imagemagick.

??? I thought that the path_prefix rc value was invented to overcome this
problem, so setting a global PATH is not needed?

Yes this was the reason. But as I wrote, LyX istself don't need admin privileges. I need to write some to install aspell, python, imagemagick, and GSview. For GSview and aspell admin privileges are needed to register the programs to Windows sofware list, so that you can deinstall them like any other Windows program. Note that my installer includes the official GSview installer that is started when it is needed. Like for most Windows programs also the installer of GSview requires admin privileges. So I can't understand the problematic of the adminn privileges: Try for example to install Ghostscript, or Inkscape with their official installers - they all need admin privileges.

regards Uwe

Uwe once wrote: "The installer checks if the user who starts
it is in the administrator member list of the computer."

SH: I have experienced a non-admin LyXWinInstaller aborting
because I was testing as a non-admin user.

Do you mean you have changed that behavior?

You have a network installer which comes with a ReadmeNetwork.txt
"To use the installer you need administrator privileges."

Prerequisites:

"The installer variant "network" is designed for users who want
to use LyX together with a LaTeX-distribution from a network
drive or a live-CD/DVD or who want to use LyX without LaTeX.

The installer will ask you for the path to the file "latex.exe"
of the LaTeX-distribution that should be used. So you can also
use this installer variant for harddisk-installed
LaTeX-distributions."

SH: One doesn't need admin-rights to use a network resource,
which requires no installation. My impression is that the
install would fail even though the resources were available
for a non-admin user installing LyX with LyXWinInstaller.

You admit this is a possibility or why else make a network
installer version, so why narrow the flexibility options?

My impression is that the Angus installer would not abort
and LyX would be installed in this scenario. If the Angus
installer dies out, how would this non-admin user install
LyX? How would this non-admin install be supported to
install for those "who want to use LyX without LaTeX."?

If the network install has access to a Windows latex.exe
it is not also likely to have programs that go with Latex?
Perhaps it is a cultural issue, but to me it seems that
you are enforcing system policy instead of the sysadmin
in this network scenario.

Regards,
Stephen