Uwe Stöhr wrote:
Joost Verburg wrote:

The new Windows installer scripts are designed to provide both a web installer that automatically downloads components like MiKTeX and well as a bundled installer with those components included.

Sounds good! I assume that you found an adequate possibility to update LyX when a new version comes out. This feature is the most often requested one in my mailbox. I wish I had have some time the last months to test your installer.

Indeed, it is possible to update LyX without downloading other components again.

I think it has about all features of your LyxWinInstaller and even more.

Did you use my code basis to achieve this? I mean there are lots of adjustments to fix problems with older versions of installed third party programs.

I've written the new installer from scratch but did look at the existing installers.

The detection methods for external components check for registry as well as existing files. If for some reason an external component cannot be found, the user can locate it manually.

If there is anything missing, please let me know. I don't think it's a good idea to create two different installers again. Why not have one official installer for 1.4.2?

Because I didn't have time to merge my code with yours and the latest changes are not yet stable enough as MiKTeX 2.5 is still a beta: I started the MiKTeX-LyX adjustment process in february and Christian Schenk (the MiKTeX author) included some features following my suggestions to MiKTeX. I tested these with my installer infrastructure. Now that the features are implemented, I want to use them in the next installer version - I promised this, but this could of course not be the reason for my plan.

Once MikTeX 2.5 is out it can be included in the installer. It's also possible to release a new 1.4.2 installer.

Of course I only want one official installer and we agreed that it would be yours, although I haven't seen it yet ;-). My installer has grown in the last 9 months and is now very stable. Some universities and nowadays also some small companies are using it and they want a version for that I can guaratee that it works on different systems and for that I can give support. The support is a problem I wasn't aware of. I assume it needs at least two months until I could give support for the merged installer, so I decided to publish my installer independently from yours for LyX 1.4.2. (If there are not too much problems with the new python configure scripts - I've also not found the time to test them.).

Supporting two different installers takes a lot of time. If there is only one official installer everything will become a lot easier.

Regards,

Joost