----- Original Message ----- From: "Bo Peng" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Herbert Voss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>; <lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 9:23 AM
Subject: Re: [announce] sixth release of LyXWinInstaller

And personally bst files should always go into c:\localtexmf\bibtex\bst\

Since the .bst file (downloaded from a Journal's website) is only
needed for a paper I am writing, it makes sense to put it along with
the paper. Also, it is troublesome, and sometimes not allowed, to put
it to the texmf directory. Fortunately, I only need to do so for
windows systems.

Cheers,
Bo

As an ordinary user I was able to add test.bst to C:\localtexmf\bibtex\bst (but not C:\local texmf\bibtex\bst) and testbst.bst to C:\texmf\bibtex\bst with Windows Explorer.

Then I ran Miktex Options, Refresh.
Then LyX Reconfigure. Close Lyx and reopen.
I still had to run Rescan (with show directories checked) to see them.

I would say that is troublesome, but ordinarily allowed. It seems to me your solution should have worked if you stored the lyx file and the .bst file under C:\My_Journal_Papers but not
C:\My Journal Papers because then the tex-engine has to traverse
a path with spaces to get to the .bst file. TeX sees every space
as an end of file so it would just truncate/read C:\My although C:\My Journal Papers should work though, if the .bst file is under (local)texmf because only the lyx file for the paper is behind space.

I spent two hours on Google searching path spaces problem and found that it used to apply to Firefox for example, but no explanation at all describing the various contexts the problem crops up in. And I read that spaces are harder to put into a
Windows script than a *nix script!

When one considers that TeXLive2004 did not have a Windows
installer (a couple of very poor attempts were made) because one
guy, Fabrice Popineau, was unavailable, and the TeX User Group
has dozens of more developers to draw on than LyX, then the
Angus LyX1.3.6 Windows port is seen as quite an accomplishment.

For me, a typical someone who hasn't actually overcome certain WinLyx porting hurdles, it is difficult to evaluate how much effort it would take to provide a certain return for the time invested or even
estimate the amount of time it would take. Just once in 1.3.6 I tried
to change the postscript viewer from gsview to Adobe Pro which
was installed behind C:\program files and another directory with
spaces. I was writing an absolute path for the viewer application. It
took me only three hours to get the "s and \ correct for the one line.

Tally Ho,
Stephen