On Mon, 31 Mar 2008, Joost Verburg wrote:

 PS. Seriously, I would like to try and install Andrei's work. Andrei,
 you can contact me off-list so we can work out details.

These are just a few example of open-source templates, it's not new work.

I know. I mean that if Andrei wants to create a template, I'll install it for testing on either the web site or the wiki site. I believe that if he invests time in creating a design, I think we owe him to give it a proper test, i.e. in context. Then people can give their opinion, and ideally we'll merge the best features of the designs. (In a theoretical world with the needed resources etc etc).

For the new official website it's we'll continue improving the current skin/design.

Please note that users can choose their own skin by simply appending

        ?skin=...

to the URI. We do not need to restrict ourselve to one skin only.

However, in practie we'll probably only fully support one skin. As for what design to use for the official web site, I can't say I've seen a consensus (yet) of what design to use. I'm a "design illiterate", so I'm just waiting for consensus to arrive, and saying that what we have is "good enough".

Naturally I think the current design is _much_ better than before! However, if Andrei wants to make a design I'll install it so that we can compare them.

For the wiki I think it's the best option to either improve the standard Pmwiki skin or to use another Pmwiki skin and customize it. It should be a simple and flexible design because of the various types of content in the wiki.

I liked the nautica thing as a candidate for the wiki, the standard pmwiki skin is _ugly_ (and what we have today). I think simulating 'tabs' might be a good metaphor for the aspects with which a page can appear, e.g. 'view', 'edit', 'history'.

However, it is probably easier to finish the official site first and then start working on the wiki. Then the wiki design can be adjusted to the final design of the official site.

Perhaps... I think they are _very_ different beasts, and that they therefore will benefit from designs/layouts that are different. Just as a simple example, a search field is very important for a wiki, but less so for the official web site. The wiki needs much for "methods" or "functions" compared to a regular web site.

As with the web site, we can of course install different skins. Having a 'standard' skin and an 'advanced' skin could be a good idea.

/Christian