I would simply like to say that I think going too far down this road could
lead to a lot of effort, and only a marginal return. I think we do need to
make LyX better, but I don't think it needs to be too multi-purpose. You
know the whole Swiss-Army knife versus a tool that does one thing, but does
it well debate. I think we would be best to improve how well LyX does its
primary job: document processing. We can leave other jobs to other tools.
That said, as soon as there's a good tool to say, track versions of a file
(like subversion), we can provide meaningful integration with that tool (and
have).

I have used Google docs collaboratively, but would personally be very
unlikely to use LyX in such a way. I can get up-to-date copies of my
document out to people with Subversion or dropbox well enough.

Just my two bits.

-Jacob