Rex classic *can* replace the main rom. It doesn't normally but it has the
option if you set it up.

It installs into the option rom socket and it's main job is actually to be
an on-board option rom library, where you can load up option rom images and
switch between them all purely from software. It can also take full ram
image backups and restore them, and finally it has two special blocks of
memory for main rom images. In order for the rex to take over the job of
the main rom, it needs the rom image loaded into it, and the /CS signal
line for the main rom run out to a pin on the rex so that when the
motherboard calls for the main rom to be active, the rex can respond
instead.

Just read the docs on bitchin100 and tandy.wiki about it.

REX# and REXCPM don't offer the feature so there is no other really
convenient way to hack on the main rom. You have to open the case
repeatedly to actually remove the rom, or run some kind of janky ribbon
cable to an external socket.

Unless you count VirtualT, but then you are debugging getting a rom to work
with an emulator not with the hardware.

I have to say, if I had paid Steve for a classic rex as many people have by
now, I would be pretty upset at hearing "It has bugs I know about but I'm
not going to fix."

My 2 cents as a user.

Steve, would you consider describing the bugs and making the sources
available for the several binary blobs that rex classic currently relies
on, so that someone else can fix what you don't want to?

For one thing, a totally different issue, I have wished I could fix the
tpdd routine in the installer that seems to have changed in some way after
build 162. It's inarguably broken, proven by the simple experiment that it
doesn't work with a real tpdd.

Right now the situation is, you won't fix something, and you won't let
anyone else fix it either. Can you possibly see how that might be just a
bit frustrating for a user?