(re-sending from a different account, I sent this earlier but it never showed up, also it's long, sorry)

> What's you're saying is that with the serial link still in place
> (for the initial serial transfer), i can simply switch software in
> my modern pc (on the other end of the serial) instead of going into
> the extra trouble to actually make a real TPDD floppy do the job"

Yes. In fact a real tpdd doesn't even work for this.

It's supposed to in theory even though it's so inconvenient to rig up that no one would ever actually do it that way, but I had reason to actually try it and the rex setup util doesn't work with either a real TPDD1 or TPDD2.

Anyway yes you just get the right kind of serial cable, download the rex# setup files and a bootstrapper program and a tpdd server program into a temp dir, use the bootstrapper to transfer and run the rex# setup utiil, start the tpdd server while the setup util is waiting at it's first prompt, and the setup util then fetches a file or two from the tpdd server while it's running.

After that, in day to day usage you'll use that same serial cable and tpdd server all the time for ordinary file transfer both ways, and in rexmgr to install option rom images.

Step by step:

Gather some things:

Serial cable
http://tandy.wiki/Model_T_Serial_Cable

rex# setup files
https://bitchin100.com/wiki/index.php?title=REXsharp

(There is some confusing incorrect terminology there. He says "TPDD Client" where he means TPDD Server or TPDD Emulator. I will not use the exactly backwards words for things so it may get confusing.)

You want the zip file with the latest version & build#
Currently RX#V21_b19.zip
Just download and unzip into a directory.

bootstrapper and tpdd server:
If you're on Windows I suggest "tsend.ps1" for the bootstrapper and LaddieAlpha for the tpdd server.
https://github.com/bkw777/tsend
download the .ps1 file into the same dir and issue the commands in the readme to give it permission to run.

http://bitchin100.com/wiki/index.php?title=LaddieCon#LaddieAlpha
Similarly, download laddiealpha.exe into the same dir and likewise you may have to right click "run as administrator" on it once, or do all of this within an administrator cmd window in the first place.

If you're on linux or mac I suggest dlplus for both:
https://github.com/bkw777/dlplus

Now to use the stuff you just gathered

On the REX# doc page
https://bitchin100.com/wiki/index.php?title=REXsharp
Skip down about 2/3 to "REX# Upgrade Utility" to follow along that short list of directions to do the next steps.

1.
Press CTRL+BREAK+RESET to cold-reset the 100. (this will erase all ram and files)

2. and 3.
Use the bootstrapper to transfer and run the *.do file.
The zip file contains files for several different machines. For a Model 100 or 102 you want the one with "1" in it's name. The directions say RX#Ux.DO, so you want RX#U1.DO, except the file in the zip is actually lower case so it's "rx#u1.do"
So in the end you run

.\tsend.ps1 -file rx#u1.do
rx#u1.do will transfer to the 100 and then start running. It will prompt to proceed. Before answering, start LaddieAlpha on the pc.
.\laddiealpha.exe com1 6

(if your serial port is COM5 or something, use that instead of com1. 6 is the length of filenames and is always 6 for a 100)

4. - 7.
Now proceed responding to the prompts on the 100 and the setup program will fetch a couple more files from the tpdd server behind the scenes along the way.

After that in ordinary day to day use you will use the same cable and tpdd server frequently to move files back & forth, for example to install option rom images into the rex# and to copy ordinary programs & docs.