--- Gretchen Summers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am new to this list, but not new to computing.
>
> I would like to share printers between my iMac
> (OSX.3.2) and a PC
> running XP.  I have spent countless hours trying to
> figure out how to
> make this work.  I have a Brother HL-1440 hooked up
> to my iMac, and a Canon i560 attached to the PC.

This site
<http://products.consumerguide.com/cp/electronics/review/index.cfm/id/22655>
mentions that there was a network adapter for the
Brother, and I found several mentions that the
Canon works with ethernet print servers that have
parallel ports for the printer to plug into, like
this one.
<http://www.file.cc/Netgear_PS101_Mini_Pocket_Print_Server_B00006B9HK.html>

If you do eBay you can find used HP JetDirect external
printservers going cheap. Make sure you research the
model at hp.com before bidding. You don't want a
Token Ring interface and the oldest models you'd want
to consider are the EX Plus series. Previous ones
didn't have built in flash ROM for upgrades and the
Flash SIMMs for the older ones are pure unobtanium
these days. Make sure to get a power supply with the
server! HP uses weird connectors and it's hard to
find the right sort of "wall wart". I lucked out on
finding a Sony camcorder supply that works fine with
my JetDirect EX Plus 3. Had to trim back the plastic
on the plug a bit but other than that it was perfect.

One big reason why I like the HP JetDirects is HP has
a free network printer setup wizard that makes
setting up a printer very easy. HP also has a free
program to update the firmware in their print servers
that have flash ROM. Newer JetDirects have a built in
web server so that with the right network setup you
can access them (and your printers) from anywhere
in the world you can get on the net. For older ones
without built in web support there is the free Web
JetAdmin. WJA runs on a PC on your network and acts
as a gateway between the net and your webserver-less
print servers.

I have a LaserJet 4 with a JetDirect in its MIO slot.
It has a PostScript Level 2 SIMM and fortunately HP
got over their anti-Mac fit they had with the LJ III
series and provided Mac drivers for the 4, 5 and 6
series. My other LaserJet is a IIID with a PostScript
Level 1 cartridge, attached to the JetDirect EX Plus
3,
which has three parallel ports so I could connect two
more printers. Unfortunately I still haven't found
a solution to having the IIID on the LAN _and_
accessible to both Mac and PC. I can remove the
PostScript cartridge and connect it direct to a Mac
with PowerPrint, but then since it doesn't have
PostScript it can't be shared with DAVE or PC MacLAN.

There just aren't any "native" Mac drivers for the
LaserJet III series. A PC running Linux with the IIID
connected _might_ be a solution, but then I'd have to
have a PC up and running whenever I'd want to print
from any computer to the IIID. The "perfect" solution
is PowerPrint for network, but that's also the
EXPENSIVE solution since it comes with a print server
similar to a JetDirect. For that kind of money I
could just go buy a newer LaserJet with a duplexer,
PostScript and Mac support that'll work with the
JetDirect I already have, or with its own internal
server like the LJ4.

=====
Say hello to Juror #49. Yep, I'm on jury duty until the end of March. Gotta call in
each weekend. Fun.