>Standard Keyspan instructions, Nelson.
>
>I feel a little confusion brewing here.  You're not using a Keyspan serial
>to usb adapter in conjunction with your pda cradle, are you?

Yes, I am.
My cradle pigtail ends in a DB9.
With my old Mac with a serial port,
I used a little MacPac converter with DB9 on one end and a miniDIN on
the other,
but I no longer need. it.

The  cradle pigtail DB9 plugs into the KeySpan
which plugs directly into a USB port (not an external box).

>   These Palm sync cradles usually have a DB-9 serial connector used
>to connect to a windows machine.  The Palm serial to usb adapter
>does not require any drivers.

I don't have the Palm USB adapter.
I didn't know it existed.

>The Keyspan serial to usb adapter is a DIN-8 to usb adapter
>requiring drivers to function.  Most of the time it is used to
>connect older serial printers to a usb port.

Keyspan makes a couple of similar gadgets.
Mine has one DB9 port.
Another has two miniDIN ports, IIRC.

The next meeting of the Louisville Computer Society will be November 26
For more information, see <http://www.aye.net/~lcs>. A calendar of
activities is at <http://www.calsnet.net/macusers>.