On Sep 12, 2011, at 11:08 AM, Charles Dyer wrote:

> Well... the only copy of the utility that I can find on Apple's site is at
> <http://support.apple.com/kb/DL675> and that's v1.0.2, posted in Dec 2001.
> Somehow I doubt that this is a Universal app.

That's the original version, I think.  New versions have shipped on subsequent
DVDs, and they haven't posted them.

> The note says to check the DVD that ships with the machine. This may be
> difficult with Lion, as it seems that no DVD ships with new machines and
> Lion. A call to Apple establishes that no-one who is not in Tech Support
> seems to know how to set the firmware password (so far as I can see there
> aren't very many who even know what a firmware password is) and Tech Support
> won't speak to me if I don't already own the machine in question.

There wasn't an app per model, there was an app per release, and frankly I
think the differences only had to do with the change from OpenFW to EFI, and
maybe some concession for new features in later models.  But the SL version
will probably work on your machine unless it's real new.

> A quick Google turns up
> <https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3195869?start=0&tstart=0> which states
> that the utility is now available if you boot into the Lion Recovery Volume.
> If so, this makes it substantially less secure, as now _anyone_ who has
> access to the machine can reboot into the LRV and reset the password without
> a hassle. I hope that this is in error. I really do.

You are assuming it's some kind of magic application.  There's nothing magic
about the application -- if you want to remove a machine's existing firmware
password with the application you still have to know the password.  "Anyone"
with a retail install disc in his pocket could always do exactly the same
thing, but it only got him to the same place (nowhere).

--
  Macs R We -- Personal Macintosh Service and Support
    in the Wickenburg and far Northwest Valley Areas.