Charles Dyer <charles.d...@gmail.com> squawked out on Monday
12-Sep-2011@12:08:31
> A call to Apple establishes that no-one who is not in Tech Support seems to
> know how to set the firmware password (so far as I can see there aren't very
> many who even know what a firmware password is) and Tech Support won't speak
> to me if I don't already own the machine in question.

Its in the menu’s in the installer when you boot off a installer disc (or a
recovery partition). It’s ALWAYS<1> been there.

<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1352>
> For Mac OS X v10.5.x<2>, start from the Leopard Install DVD and choose
> Firmware Password Utility from the Utilities menu, then skip to step 5.

(step 5 is basically "type in the password")

<1> for limited definitions of always.
<2> or 10.6 or 10.7

> A quick Google turns up
> <https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3195869?start=0&tstart=0> which states
> that the utility is now available if you boot into the Lion Recovery Volume.
> If so, this makes it substantially less secure, as now _anyone_ who has
> access to the machine can reboot into the LRV and reset the password without
> a hassle. I hope that this is in error. I really do.

It doesn’t make the password less secure since you cannot CHANGE the password
(or even boot into the recovery partition) without the original password. It
does mean that someone could more easily set the firmware password without the
owner knowing about it, I suppose. However, that’s always been true since you
could simply boot a non-protected machine up with and install disc and set the
password, but like you can set the BIOS password on a wintendo machine.

--
Otto: Apes don't read philosophy.  Wanda: Yes, they do Otto, they just
don't understand it.