Charles Dyer <charles.d...@gmail.com> squawked out on Monday
12-Sep-2011@10:48:07

> On 12 Sep 2011, at 12:15 , LuKreme wrote:
>
>> On Sep 12, 2011, at 10:02, Michael Winter <win...@mac.com> wrote:
>>

>> For a laptop a firmware password to prevent booting of another drive or disc
>> and a LoJack sort of system is best. Make sure and leave the guest account
>> enabled so the tracker software can work.
>
> I haven't had an Apple laptop in a _long_ time. How do you set the firmware
> password on a modern Mac laptop?

Boot off the install disc and choose “Set Firmware password” from the menu
somewhere.

> And isn't the Laptop Lojack software paritally parked in firmware? Does it
> _need_ an account? Wouldn't that be a major weakness?

No, oddly enough if you want the lojack to work, you need them to be able to
USE the computer. If the data is more important than recovering the hardware,
then you encrypt the crap out of everything and know that if the laptops is
stolen you will never see it again, but the their will never be able to access
the drive.

Either you want the hardware returned (install tracker software, enable guest
account, do not encrypt the hardware and rely on the unit permissions to
protect the data) or you want the data to be protected (no guest account, no
tracking software, encrypt drive).

The tracking software doesn’t work unless there is a user logged in to the
system. It also needs to be able to connect to WiFi.

>> If the laptop contains data than is worth a lot of money (think millions in
>> research or something) then whole disk encryption, encrypted time machine,
>
> How do you encrypt Time Machine? I didn't think that that was possible.

It’s a check box in the time machine control panel in 10.7

--
'I don't like to ask them questions.' 'Why not?' 'They might give me
answers. And then what would I do?'