On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 10:02:27PM -0400, Chris Devers wrote:

> For about 15 minutes I thought you had just made my day. But alas, it
> doesn't seem to work yet on Jaguar -- apparently the 10.1 version won't
> work on 10.2, and they haven't yet been able to build a 10.2 version
> cleanly, though they're working on it.

Yes. There's a copy of Jaguar sitting on my desk but I am not going to
touch it until I know that the stuff I need to run will work cleanly
with it. What on earth were they *thinking*?

If this is the way Apple are going, I'm strongly tempted to boot back
into Linux/PPC, install the latest version of MOL, and keep OS/X strictly
for eye candy and occasional backward compatability. At least Linux seems
to be stable and maintains binary compatability on the same platform ...

> As for the rest of this thread, just to get back, err, offtopic -- BBEdit
> has a great reputation but 99% of the time Vim is all I ever want or need,
> and it helps that I can use it on any platform, graphically or in text
> mode. That and it doesn't frighten me the way Emacs does :).

I have fond memories of Pete Keleher's Alpha, and if there's ever a
carbonized release I'd be highly interested in playing with it. It seemed
to combine most of the cool functionality of emacs with a properly thought-
out Mac GUI that wasn't as annoying as BBEdit's (back in the old days --
I've never used a version of BBEdit more recent than 3.0 or thereabouts).
I gather the Alpha/Tk version is under active development, but then, a
properly carbonized version of Tcl/Tk is also needed ... anyone got any
insights into the state of Alpha/Tk on OS/X?

-- Charlie