On Tuesday, September 17, 2002, at 11:34 AM, Charlie Stross wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 10:02:27PM -0400, Chris Devers wrote:
>>
>> For about 15 minutes I thought you had just made my day. But alas, it
>> doesn't seem to work yet on Jaguar -- apparently the 10.1 version
>> won't
>> work on 10.2, and they haven't yet been able to build a 10.2 version
>> cleanly, though they're working on it.
>
> Yes. There's a copy of Jaguar sitting on my desk but I am not going to
> touch it until I know that the stuff I need to run will work cleanly
> with it. What on earth were they *thinking*?

most 'ordinary' os x applications transfer across without blinking -
it's not like you have to get new versions of office and photoshop -
and presumably that's where apple's concerns lie. People who compile
their own are, I suspect, regarded as deviant enthusiasts who will
probably enjoy the recompilation.

It took me a couple of days, mostly because I went for the
scorched-earth installation to finally get rid of classic, but i've
recreated my working environment under 10.2 without major problems.
fink was my biggest worry, but they've got the situation well in hand.
You do have to start from scratch, to be on the safe side. and no, I
didn't enjoy it.

but these are all ok:

perl 5.8
apache
        (I've not managed to get mod_perl working with 5.8 yet, but that's
just my ineptitude)
mysql & DBI
Template Toolkit
fink
GD
Imagemagick
        (& therefore X11)
snort
psync

which may or may not bear any resemblance to your requirements...

I probably wouldn't have risked it yet, but for the fact that my 10.1.5
was listing badly and having terrible network configuration trouble
that I never did track down, so some sort of reinstallation was
unavoidable. But I can report that it works out.

will