On Monday, October 14, 2002, at 11:26  AM, Gregory Cranz wrote:

> It's exactly this ideology, or lack thereof, that has caused business
> columnists and pundits alike to compare the Open-Source and Freeware
> markets (I'm not lumping the two together, but they are) with outright
> Communism.  This is much the chagrin of developers like me who now
> have to ask during a job interview what the company's position is
> regarding the Open Source movement i.e. "can I participate on open
> projects while I work for you?"
>
> And yes, just asking the question has an impact on the good first
> impression you're trying to make.  I've even had recruiters give me
> crap about mentioning it during the interview.  Then I have to launch
> into an explanation using someone like Ben Tilly of Perlmonks.com
> (handle: Tilly) as an example of how you can get screwed by this.  All
> of this while trying to boil it down to fit into their attention span
> and sound credible...

Don't ask it on the first interview, or any interview.  Even if you
would unconditionally refuse to work for someone who would say no.
Wait until they offer you the job, that way it won't weigh in on their
decision and you still have just as much power to say no if they give
you the unfavored response when you do ask.

Erik

--
Erik Price                                   (zombies roam)

email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]