On Monday, October 14, 2002, at 11:26 AM, Gregory Cranz wrote:

> On Friday, October 11, 2002, at 07:48 AM, Ask Solem Hoel wrote:
>>
>> [...] know I can pay for it in shareware
>> but never /ever/ will I pay for shareware. Shareware sucks, and there
>> is
>> too much of it in the Mac world. That is why we need to re-create every
>> useful shareware application as free software and kill those egomaniac
>> shareware authors.
>>

> Egomaniacs?  This is SERIOUS flame-bait on a software developer's list.

Time to jump in here with my own two cents. I don't think Gregory is
referring to folks like Unsanity or Stick, whose products represent a
serious amount of work at a rock-bottom price. That's shareware done
well.

There is another side to shareware, though. I'm referring to authors who
take advantage of the fact that many Mac users won't touch Terminal.app
with a ten-foot pole. They spend fifteen minutes with Apple's dev tools
knocking together a half-assed GUI interface that does nothing but sit
on top of a command-line tool and/or fiddle with the defaults database.
Then, they release their "work" while implying that their program offers
some great new capabilities that OS X didn't have, and they have the
gall to demand $10, $20, or even $50 for it.

>   Tsk tsk, Shame on you.  People deserve to EAT.

People who make an honest effort to create something worth paying for
deserve to eat.

People who take advantage of others, demanding outrageous compensation
for trivial work while deceiving people as to the amount of work they've
truly done, deserve nothing but a jail sentence. They're frauds, and
should be treated as such.

I don't understand this knee-jerk defense of shareware. Just as in any
given group of people, there are those in the shareware community who
are driven by ego and/or greed to leech off of their fellow man. They're
not in the majority, thank heavens, but they do exist.

sherm--