The Perl developers are kind of a quiet group. But I think that Apple has done a very reasonable job for developers. I remember even in old MacOS9 that this Perl was ahead of what I had on Sun Solaris OS. There is always a leading edge, but my application need to be distributed, therefore I am more conservative in the version I use. Apple's Perl version fits that real well. And I can always install multiple version of Perl because in a Unix OS. Just define a different path.

On the otherside, Apple computers are the best developer's hardware. You can run you Debrian, Redhat, Ubuntu versions of Unix and so forth on the platform-either under Parallels or native. You can also run Solaris 10 (which is free I might add) along with all the varieties of Windows types--all running under one platform. Here you have all the neat MacOS development tools (e.g. Bbedeit, Dreamweaver, Affrus [Perl debugger], etc.) running in MacOSX, at the same time you have the Solaris 10 Application and database server running. At Jave One (in March), Sun Microsystem use Apple Laptops to show the new Java stuff and the developers carrier 4 to one for Apple laptops over the PC's. At the Solaris 10 presentation, Sun stated that their target laptop was from Apple because it woke up. Finally, my recent friends who have purchased new Apple Laptops, tell me that Windows XP runs better under Parallels than on their old PC. I assume that Debrian will be just as impressive.

And as I reiterate, you could install the cutting edge Perl on you system and be fine still under MacOSX with all its tools. It is Unix anyway.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Some yummy facts about Leopard:

Scripting Bridge
Use Objective-C, Ruby, and Python programs to automate Mac applications. The new Scripting Bridge enables them to easily generate AppleEvents using a concise, AppleScript-like syntax.

Ruby on Rails
Work in a developer's dreamland. Leopard is the perfect platform for Ruby on Rails development, with Rails, Mongrel, and Capistrano built in.

Not a single word about perl. No mention of CamelBones, using the Scripting Bridge for perl, or the fact that perl has CPAN with 12,000+ high quality modules while ruby has 4,000+ on rubyforge. Apple trumpets its POSIX conformation yet what UNIX is worth its weight in cat5 cable if it doesn't come with perl?

It looks like I will have to stick with debian for developing my LAMP applications.

    Jeremiah

--

Michael Barto
Software Architect

LogiQwest Circle
LogiQwest Inc.
16458 Bolsa Chica Street, # 15
Huntington Beach, CA  92649
http://www.logiqwest.com/

    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:  714 377 3705
Fax: 714 840 3937
Cell: 714 883 1949

'tis a gift to be simple
This e-mail may contain LogiQwest proprietary information and should be treated as confidential.